Tricks of packing is what you will see here today! From the youngest to the oldest, we will share tips on how to prepare your daughter for the best camp experience of her life!
Our first packing tip is for our youngest campers and came directly from former mini camp counselors! Compartmentalize outfits in gallon sized ziplock bags. We recommend this for girls aged 6-10 (though we have had Riverside girls that swear by it). It helps counselors distinguish clean clothes from dirty clothes and helps girls find independence in picking out what they want to wear. We also highly recommend sending multiple extra outfits and underwear(!) in the event they wear two or three outfits in a day.
Things to know:
- The more you label your camper’s belongings, the more likely it will come back home. That includes all towels, sheets, rain jackets, underwear, swimsuits, water bottles, shoes, and more. You’d be amazed at what our lost and found looks like at the end of the summer!
- Limit decorative pillows and stuffed animals, as they often end up on the floor.
- Bring pictures to hang with tape near your bunk.
- You can wear your normal outfit, a nice outfit, or a fun outfit for the dance. It’s nice to have options.
- Camp is not the best place to bring brand new shoes, try buying any shoes for camp 3-4 weeks ahead of time to break them in.
- Backless shoes such as flip flops are only allowed in the shower (and no where else).
- Sometimes we wear 2-3 outfits a day at camp!
Items last year’s counselors highly encourage packing:
For ALL campers
- shoe bag with clear pockets
- trunk (suitcases just don’t cut it)
- lots of sunscreen and bug spray
- jeans and one sweat shirt
- only shoes with backs are allowed (even for the dance! no flip flops)
- family addresses
- a red, blue, and green shirt for first year campers!
For younger campers:
- extra outfits
- extra underwear
- de-tangler spray
- pre stamped and pre addressed envelops
For older girls:
- water bottle (it is more likely for younger girls to lose theirs and we have plenty of water fountains!)
- rain jacket
- extra club spirit to share with new campers!